Saturday 18 August 2012

My street

On the 1st of March 2012 I begun the daunting task of creating the sets and models for all the scenes for the film.

The first scene was set in Sam's street.  At first I'd envisioned this to be quite a pretty street with your typical cartoon suburban  look.  Perfect houses with large open drives.  When I thought about it a bit more it seemed less and less logical to do this.
Sam is meant to be in his early twenties, so probably still at Uni, or if not he's just started working and I'd imagine doesn't have a lot of money. After all he is using a bag that he must have had for quite some time.
So it made more sense to have the street more run down with smaller houses.  Luckily I don't have a lot of money and so my street fits this image perfectly. 

I grabbed my camera and went outside to take lots of pictures of the houses around this area.  I did actually have a woman come running out of her house at one point asking why I was taking pictures of her drive.  I think she was worried I was some sort of debt collector.  Once I explained that I was making an animation and needed reference she seemed to calm down.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's always worth having reference.  No matter how well you think you know something, taking reference will always give you those extra pieces of information that you'd never think of.

Below is some photos I took of the area.  The final film has very similar houses, although I made a few things slightly oversized so that the environment would suit the characters better.  So things like the windows and doors were bigger then what they're really like in reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment